Just seven days after the Signal chat scandal erupted, the White House announced that it doesn’t want to talk about it anymore. In fact, it was Monday when press secretary Karoline Leavitt said that, as far as she and her colleagues are concerned, “this case has been closed.”
The evaluation will look into whether Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth complied with department policies when using a Signal group chat last month.
The Pentagon’s internal watchdog notified the defense secretary of a probe into whether he shared classified information last month in a Signal group chat that included a journalist.
National security advisor Mike Waltz and his office have repeatedly come under fire since news broke on the Signal chat leak with a journalist.
The White House doubled down Wednesday on its insistence that its top national security officials did nothing wrong when they discussed a pending military strike in Yemen over a commercial messaging app known as Signal.
7don MSN
Trump administration officials are struggling to stem the fallout from revelations that top national security officials discussed sensitive attack plans over a messaging app and mistakenly added a journalist to the chain.
The White House considers the Signal chat leak case "closed," press secretary Karoline Leavitt told the media Monday.
An article in The Atlantic said the chat included “operational details of forthcoming strikes on Yemen, including information about targets, weapons the U.S. would be deploying, and attack sequencing.
In public, White House National Security Advisor Mike Waltz is struggling. In private, there's reason to believe his troubles appear even more serious.